Food business that you can try and sell this summer, for extra income, even infront of your house. All you need is a kerosene-stove, a pan, oil, bbq sticks and of course your special sauce. Here’s some recipes:
- 2 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 2 eggs
- 3/4-1 1/4 cups cornstarch
- ginger, pepper, salt,
- 1 kilo fish (lapu-lapu, talakitok, apahap, maya-maya, or carp)
- vetsin and soysauce
- Kitchen knife
- Measuring cups
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Boil fish for 3-5 minutes in water with ginger.
- Strain and put in a container. Remove the heads entrails, skin and bones. Flake the fish.
- Peel and chop the carrots, onions, garlic and potatoes. Mix and combine with the fish flakes.
- Grind. Add the eggs, salt, pepper, vetsin and cornstarch.
- Mash and form into balls.
- Boil fish stock. Drop fish ball one by one into the boiling fish stock. Drain.
- Deep fry in hot oil.
- Store in sterilized bottles, add 2% brine solution (1 tsp. salt for every 4 cups water).
- Cover and boil for 11/2 hours.
- Store for 12 days.
Red Sweet and Sour Fish Ball Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup White sugar
- 1 tablespoon Catsup, to color
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- Pour Vinegar into pan, dissolve sugar, low-medium heat.
- Dissolve catsup in 1/4-cup water, then mix with vinegar and sugar in pan. Slowly simmer.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4-cup water, then add to mixture, stir.
- Turn to high heat for 10secs or until consistency is just right, add grounded pepper(optional).
Brown Fish Ball Sauce
- Same procedure just add Sprite or 7 Up to vinegar and sugar mixture (according to taste) some fish ball vendors use Royal or Orange Soda.
- For the color and consistency, substitute catsup with soy sauce and cornstarch with flour.
- Note: Corn Starch makes a clear sauce, Flour makes a merky looking sauce, no difference in developing consistency)
- 1/2 k. of ground lean pork
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. of finely chopped garlic
- 1 medium-sized carrot, finely chopped
- 3 tbsps. of soy paste
- 1 tbsp. of brown sugar
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 pcs. of tawpe (bean curd sheets)
- 1 tsp. of cornstarch cooked in 1/4 c. of water to form a paste
- 1-1/2 c. of cooking oil
- Soak the tawpe in cold water for five minutes to soften. Drain and carefully dry with paper towels.
- Mix together the pork, garlic, onion, carrot, soy paste, salt, pepper, sugar and beaten egg. Divide into four portions.
- Lay a piece of tawpe and place 1 portion of the meat mixture at the center. Shape the meat mixture into a log. Brush all the sides of the tawpe with the cornstarch paste. Roll tightly, folding the sides inward as you roll. Repeat for the rest of the meat mixture and tawpe.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet or wok until it starts to smoke. Carefully lower the tawpe-covered meat into the hot oil. Allow an interval of 60 seconds before adding the next, and so on. Fry over high heat until golden, about 8-10 minutes, letting the kikiam roll in the hot oil for even cooking and color. Drain on paper towels and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with sweet-and-sour sauce.
For the sweet-sour sauce :
- 3 tbsp. of vinegar (you may need more if using mild-strength vinegar)
- 6 tbsp. of sugar
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of chili sauce (Tabasco is ok)
- 1 tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. of cornstarch
- 1 c. of water
- sesame seed oil
- In a small saucepan, mix together all ingredients for the sweet-sour sauce.
- Set over medium-high heat until thick and the cloudiness has disappeared.
- In another saucepan, heat 1 tsp. of oil. Add carrots. Stir for a minute.
- Add bell pepper, onion, tomato, ginger and garlic. Stir for 15 seconds.
- Pour in the sweet-sour and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Add a few drops of sesame seed oil.
- Pour over fried fish.
CHINESE SQUID BALLS
- 1 kilo Squid cut into rings
- 250g pound Cooked shrimp
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Ginger grated
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- Poach squid rings and tentacles in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and set aside to cool. Saute garlic in frying pan over low heat in 1 Tb of oil until lightly browned.
- Combine squid, garlic, the egg yolk and the rest of the dry ingredients in a food processor. add 1 or 2 Tbs of oil as you go. Stop when the mixture forms a large ball. Remove and form into a dozen or so balls. Heat 3 Tbs of oil in a heavy frying pan.
- When hot, add squid balls and brown lightly on all sides. Turn down heat, add stock and cover. Simmer for five minutes. Serve on toothpicks with soy sauce, or use as fishballs in soup.
sources: cdkitchen.com, elgu2.ncc.gov.ph, bohol.ph, recipescan.com
- Squid Ball Recipe for Food Cart Business
- Quekiam (Kikiam) Recipe for Foodcart Business
- Fish Ball Recipe for Food Cart Business
- Siomai Recipe for Food Cart Business
- Low Cost Hamburger for Food Cart Business